Saturday, March 20, 2010

Vision Quest

Yesterday was my athletics day. I was literally doing some sort of activity outside form about 1:15 until 5:30. Then after dinner was done, I went and worked out. But that was then, and this is now (good book by the way.)

Today I kind of cracked out of my shell. Today I was not Michael. Today I was a new man. After classes were done, I went with Bethany to lunch. We ate outside. I was with my friends Heather, Erin, Bethany, and Julie. We were outside of Walton and just talking. That's it. But normally I'm the one who is quiet and listens while everyone else is joking. Today I was the main person talking. It was interesting, but I LOVED it. I then suggested that we go play frisbee or something. They agreed. But then once we all got together, things changed.

The group dynamics changed. Julie had a meeting, my friend Paul was free, and we met up with our friend Kara on the hill near Kea-Guffin. We just all laid down on the hill basking in the warmth of the sun. Then something happened. I do not remember who, but someone had the idea for us to go play in the creek. (Or as my friend Chelsea INSISTS on calling it: "crick.") We went to Fenimore Woods and started playing in the creek. Heather and Kara went back shortly, so it was just Erin, Bethany, Paul and I.

We just decided to keep trekking down the creek. We were just talking and laughing and having an AWESOME time. Oh, and for those of you who know me, YES, yes I WAS barefoot and YES it did feel odd. We actually walked down to under a bridge and stood. It was awesome. The water was SO cold, but...it was a great time.

After this, my friend Justin and I played frisbee for a while before all of us went to dinner. Dinner was realllly good tonight. Not bad food. After dinner I just hung out with my friends in the room with both of my room mates gone for the night. I watched two movies and now I am here. Let me tell you, this is an AWESOME day!!! I wish every day could be like this.

Now, I am still trying to figure out how I changed today. What made me so different? I think it started at lunch. All of us were just talking and...I felt comfortable. Then it changed again when we all met up with Paul. Paul just has that...aura to him and that always changes me. But everything was completely different once we started talking. Paul...addressed me by a different name, one I talked about in a previous post. He called me "Michael Leather." No, it's not much of a change, but I think that flipped a huge switch in me. When we were "crickin," he said "Michael Leather, wanna do this?" Michael would say no, but Michael Leather was like "LET'S DO IT!" I just felt so happy. All we did was walk in a cold, slippery, sharp creek but I had the best time ever. After coming out from under the bridge, Paul, Erin and I (Bethany got a cut and had to leave) were thinking. Paul and Erin and part Cherokee Indian and they were joking that we all had just come back from a "vision quest." That's one of the Indian traditions where a boy goes off into the wilderness and becomes a man. Basically they were joking and saying we were changed. Well...I think they were right. At least for me, that's true. Today has been a new day for me. People have seen me different from than I normally am. It wasn't all good, but it was more good than bad I believe. Today has been MY vision quest day. I think I am officially "Michael Leather" and I LOVE it.

Yeah, I think that's it really. Like...today has honestly just been a euphoric day. I can't describe this feeling I have. But it's like I'm back at camp again and I'm making friends with all of these people I already knew. I just...yeah. It's awesome. Now it is time to rest and get ready for another AWESOME day.

Good night world,
Michael Leather

No comments:

Post a Comment