Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Major" Winds of Change

I don't know if you write a blog or not. But let me tell you something. As I go through my day and live out events, I literally talk about them to myself as if I were writing my blog. Today, has been no exception. My College Writing class this morning well...yeah. There would be a lot to write about. I had lunch with my Mom and found out how BOSS my Dad was when they were dating. Jess had a bad day at school so I talked with her...for TWO HOURS (It was great). I watched a movie with Matt and Paul and lastly, I talked with my twin. Today has been a packed day full of stuff to talk and write about. I kinda want to talk about my parents and what my Mom told me about today at lunch. I want to talk about how calm and relaxed Paul's room is an the difference simply location makes on perception. I want to talk about how Bethany is a great friend looking out for me. I also really want to talk about Jess and how much I've learned about her today. But something happened today that is more important (I believe) than all of this. Considering the fact that I am in college, and that is the main reason why my parents spend so much money every semester, I thought I'd share with you some good new about college.

As many of you know, I came to college with a career in mind. I was DEFINITELY going to be a secondary education history teacher. Um...btw, NOT. That changed rather quickly. So...what to do, what to do. Matt is double majoring, Bethany is trying to decide between like...four majors, Katie is double majoring, and most of my friends (if not all) have a major set. Well, I'd like to announce that I think I've officially joined the ranks my friends. I had a meeting today with my academic adviser. I told him my goal of what I want to do in life, and he showed me the tools to get there. We went through the course catalog, picked out classes, and I think I know what to do. Now, I DO reserve the right to change my mind. I am not declaring a major yet. Next semester I am only taking introductory courses to wade in, not dive in head first. What is this madness you ask? I'll tell you.

I. Love. Shoes. Ask anyone and you will know this simple fact about me. Ever since I was little, I have loved to run. I raced my friends down the block, chased Sam G. around the playground, and had aspirations to be the "fastest man in the world." I am not joking. When deciding on what you want to do for the rest of your life, you should pick something that you would do for free. I forget who said this, but I think they were right. So, here is my ultimate goal my friends. Call me crazy, most people have, but this is my dream: I want to open up my own shoe store. I want to sell running shoes, basketball shoes, soccer shoes, just...ATHLETIC SHOES. I mean yeah, sell the compression shorts, the shirts, the pants and tights, the whole shebang. I was talking with a professor at an Entrepreneur Coffee House offered by the university the other night. He also happens to be a marathon runner. He also happens to be an expert at observing the economy and trends in the market. There is a running boom coming, can't you feel it? He told me he can. If I set up shop just right, in a upper-middle class neighborhood, one in which people love to run (or I create a demand) get involved in the town, and do a lot of things right, I could be successful. Now, I worked for a lawyer for 2.5 years who opened up his own practice. I KNOW how hard it is to have your own business. Wake up early in the mornings, work weekends, and maybe retire older than 65. But right now, that doesn't phase me.

"So Michael, what are you going to major in then? You ARE in college so you must have a plan." Well...plan? I mean, long-term, just look at the last paragraph. But the plan for right now is to see if I fit. What is the major you ask? It's Entrepreneurial Studies. My adviser and I think this is the best course of action. I am going to open up my own small business and the classes in this major (as we looked through many of them) will help me to be an effective business leader. Now, the major is only 51 credits. That is like 18 classes. Next semester I plan on taking 2 of these classes. So, that's 16 classes for 5 semesters. I average 3 classes per semester. If you do the math, that means I'd be a part time student. "But wait a second Michael! What about the whole shoe thing? Don't you need to know some stuff about that to sell the shoes?" GREAT QUESTION! I am also going to be looking and taking courses in Exercise Science and Athletic Training that will give me the knowledge to know what the right shoe is for the job. And hey, what about this? I could even (this is a HUGE stretch, but something nonetheless) have a gym in my store. Have a double thing going on. I don't know, that just came to me today. But at least I'm thinking! So yeah, I'm really excited about this. I hope you can be too.

Good Night World,
Michael Leather

No comments:

Post a Comment