Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lobsters and Besties

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been since I wrote on my blog. I guess my spiritual discipline is not as great as I had hoped. haha. But I have a very good reason for not writing on here: I have more friends. Remember how I said a few days ago that I was having a hard time hanging out with people? Well that's going away. I have found a small group that I can hang with confidentially and just have fun. It's great. Ok, so I have a lot to unload, I've obviously been thinking a lot it IS me after all so get ready for the ride.


I was walking to the dining commons the other day and noticed something very weird. Do you know how geese always stay together in their big "family" like group? Well I was walking by the pond and saw the flock all of the right hand side of the pond. Well...on the ICE on the left hand side was another goose just sitting there. He (I will call it he. She is an extra letter and just easier) was sitting on the ice FACING, even WATCHING the rest of the flock. It was actually obvious that he had been there for a while because he had actually melted through the thin layer of ice (no, not broken it definitely was melted) simply by sitting there. Now I don't know about you, but don't you think that this is odd? Geese are VERY social animals and this one particular goose just didn't wanna be with the others. I think that I sometimes associate with this goose. I know that I have a whole "flock" of friends right next to me, but I just back off and watch them. Sometimes I sit there for so long I melt the ice under me. Don't we all though? I mean, I'm an introvert so it's understandable, but don't we all have that? I have no idea where I'm going with this whole story and I really don't care. I just think that it's interesting. Something SO social decided to be 200 feet away from his family and just...watch them. Don't you agree?

So I've been hanging with this one guy Ken Sawyer a lot lately. He is SO cool. I keep talking to him asking about being room mates next year. I don't wanna like..."push" him and have him room with me. I was never even sure if he wanted to hang with me that much. Now don't get me wrong. I LOVE my room mate Matt. I think I would honestly move in with him in real life. haha. Ryan is pretty cool too. Just circumstances have risen in which I will need a new room mate next year. I think that guy may be Ken. He slept over last night in my room. I had a BLAST!!! It was honestly one of the best nights of my college life. He loves basketball too, is about the same skill level as I am, plays video games sometimes, doesn't like "vulgar" stuff, runs XC, just...YEAH! If you know anything about me, that is a great combo. I think I will enjoy living with him next year.

Speaking of next year, I am going to be an RA. Due to the fact that I LOVE the idea of responsibility, people looking up to me as an authority figure, being a good example for others and all these things, I think it's the best thing for me. It can help me be...the Michael from Morrisville again (at least in my hallway). I was kind of cautious about being RA next year, but with hearing everything they said at the RA meeting, I want in to this position now. With everything they said to try to get us to not sign up, all of the cons, I wanted to join MORE.

So yesterday was my birthday. I think it really was like...the best birthday I've had in years. I can't describe why, but I just had so much fun. I played basketball, hung with some AMAZING people and just had fun. It was great.

Tonight I went to Red Lobster with the family and got the "Ultimate Feast" which has a lobster tail, crab legs, shrimp scampi and mashed potatoes. I used to NEVER be able to finish that thing. Well...now that the portions are getting smaller it was a piece of cake. haha. I love my family, I'm glad I got to see them.

I came back and spent some time with Bethany. She is such a great girl. We talked and just had "twin time" which was great. After waiting for a while for Janelle, the three of us watched The Lion King and somehow Erin showed up. It was GREAT. Those three girls are great. It's weird that I have somewhat of a better connection with 3 girls than a group of guys. haha. So after the Lion King and Janelle and I making and eating Mac-n-Cheese, we watched Dirty Jobs. I messed around a lot and whatnot. Cross-tied Janelle's shoes (even though she knew it) saw her fall asleep on the table with a HUGE red mark on her forehead, and just...be chill for 2 hrs. I had a great night.

I can't believe this has been such a great weekend and it's only been 2 days. Tomorrow is the last day of the weekend. Unfortunately, I AM at school to learn. So I need to do some homework. Of course, I told Jeff and Anna I'd spend time with them and I'm going to church at 6pm. So...we'll see how tomorrow goes. Night everyone.

Michael

1 comment:

  1. First things first- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!
    I apologize for being late... Since I know longer have Facebook, I have lost all hope for remembering birthdays. I'm glad you had a great day, and I wish I could have been there to experience it with you!


    Now to the geese.

    I actually think that one lone goose was exemplifying something everyone can connect with.
    I can be both extremely extroverted, and after some time of that, extremely introverted. In both states of being, I can connect to the goose. When being extroverted, I sometimes try to step out of my body, and see my interactions with people, or maybe just the interactions between the people I am with. I try to observe how I act with one group of people versus how I act with another group of people. It's a learning experience to do observe you're interactions from a third-party perspective (as much as our humanity allows).
    There are also times when I am being introverted that I separate myself from others, just so I can reflect on my life. So I can reflect on who I am, and who I am becoming. So I can reflect on where I have been, where I am, and where I am headed.


    I'm not sure what I'm saying anymore, but I like the goose, and I wanted to let you know, that I like the goose.


    Keep it real goose, and keep writing Michael

    ReplyDelete