Saturday, January 16, 2010

Evangelize say what?

Ok. I blogged already today, but I just have a few thoughts to get out before I go to sleep. Yes, it's 10:35 and I'm thinking about going to sleep already. I am leaving campus around 7:30 tomorrow. Why? I am going in to Philly tomorrow with my friend Brad. He is a missionary and works for Campus Crusades for Christ. I am going to teach college aged kids how to evangelize on the street. Yeah, I know. That's pretty cool...and scary. I've actually never done it before for myself, so...how am I going to teach others how to evangelize? I also am not at the strength in my faith nor do I have the knowledge to quote the bible and whatnot to keep a person interested as basically...most of my friends on campus. I know people who say "Oh James, that's my favorite book in the Bible." Or they say "I have so many favorite verses." All I know are the generic verses that 5 year olds know. As soon as Brad asked me to go tomorrow, I wanted to say no. Then I thought of Gary Haugen and the book I read in INST 150 last semester: Just Courage. Haugen is the founder of the International Justice Mission. He said in his book "Just Courage" that Christianity is not always comfortable. To do the right thing sometimes means doing the uncomfortable thing. Why? Thank you for my answer Bill Martin(my youth group leader). The reason is because it's not about me, it's about God. It's not about how uncomfortable I am, it's about showing how great God is to others. So that's what I'm doing. I am going to be uncomfortable for a small amount of time tomorrow to teach others to bring others to Christ; to bring others to Christ in Philadelphia. Yeah, I AM really scared. But hey, I don't think Jesus was too peppy when he was headed to the cross.

And that's my thought. I've been off all day today just because I am so scared for this. But why? What is the worst that happens to ME? I think all that it is, is someone says "No, go away." The scarier thing is that, it's not about me and that can't be the end. I have been so scared today and will be tomorrow because I have thought about what happens past that; after the no. If this person doesn't come to Christ, they go to Hell. I remember Brad crying one day telling me that and that image has stuck with me ever since. So I need to be persistent. I need to show this person how amazingly awesome God is. Now I know what a bunch of you are saying, "Hey, don't make Christians look like jerks." I don't plan on that. If someone REALLY doesn't want to talk to me, they can walk away. I think ultimately that is best. For all I know, God simply made it so I plant a seed. We'll see. Right? God is the God of second chances. If someone says no to me, that doesn't mean it's no forever and God is done. I just know that I must be persistent. I want to go to heaven with everyone. I don't deserve it, but Jesus died for ALL of us. All of us should receive his gift. Right?

Ok, this has been mostly personal stuff that I don't know if it's smart to post. But maybe I helped someone else with this. If you are scared to do something for God, ask yourself this: who is it all about?

Good night everyone,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment