Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mrs. Leather

For some reason this topic has been on my mind all day. I keep thinking about her and she isn't my Mom. I keep day dreaming about this amazing woman, the best friend I'll ever have, the person who warms my heart with every look at her, whose name one day will be Mrs. Leather. Just the thought makes me have a smile not ear-to-ear but from wall-to-wall and I still don't think that adequately describes how I feel. I've heard how three generations of my family have met their spouses and it's all so romantic that my stomach just turns to butterflies thinking about it.

My great grandfather Wilson apparently was playing baseball with his friends back when he was around 19 or 20. He was outfield if memory serves. Then across the street he saw this gorgeous woman talking with her friends. He literally stopped playing in the middle of the game and ran over to talk to her. He then asked her out. About a year later he married my great grandmother. Just like that, he saw the woman he loved and did the most jerkish thing in guy culture by leaving while playing sports, and talked to a girl. I love it.

Then it's my Grandfather Leather. He worked for AT&T Bell on the actual wires by climbing up telephone poles. Well one day he was up working on one of these poles and just happened to look into the building. It also happened to be an AT&T building. Through the window he saw the woman, who I've seen pictures of and she was beautiful, and he either called her from the pole or went and found her. I don't really care which answer it is because both are fantastic. Her name was Dorthy Wilson and he started to date her. Today they have 4 children and 4 grand kids and will be celebrating 50 years of marriage in June. This is the first romantic story I know of, about Mrs. Leather.

Then comes the story of my parents. Neither have told me the full story and I think that makes it slightly more mystic and euphoric for me. My dad (Kevin Leather) was a new employee at Wyeth Ayerst. This woman named Tami Falkinburg saw his resume and that he had just started working there. I wonder if she was slightly interested in him by the resume. She loves to bake so she brought in a tray of cookies for the new guy. She came in and saw my dad and I think the rest is pretty much history. He tells me about how absolutely gorgeous she was (and still is) and how he fell for her almost on the spot. They started dating and in May 5, 1989 (I SO hope I got this right) they were married and celebrated 20 years this past May. This is the second romantic story (and trust me, there's more and it's SO awesome) of Mrs. Leather.

:-) Mrs. Leather. Ohhhhh my gosh how much this makes me smile. I really don't have sufficient words right now. It's just such an awesome name to hear in my mind. That name will associate a woman with me forever and the only way to describe this is...beautiful. Every day I will be loved by a woman, by my best friend, by my "better half," more than any human knows how to give me and I will do the same for her...forever. Am I just dreaming this up? Does love and marriage really work like this? My answer simply is this, why not?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Michael Leather,

    I don't think we've met before, but I found your blog through Matt's and I think you're pretty interesting so I think we should be friends.

    Sincerely,
    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Ok. Feel free to follow my blog. I don't write a whole much since I got on Spring Break, but I do write a fair amount.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scrolling through your blog, and stopped at "Mrs. Leather" and started reading. It's so surprising hearing (or I guess reading) someone share their excitement with their wife becoming, in your case, Mrs. Leather. I feel like a lot of people relate that to their mother. Like eww everytime I hear like Mrs. So and So I'll think of my mother. But you...you.. Mr. Michael Leather think completely the opposite. It truly amazes me. You look at that how its suppose to be. That name associated with the women you will love, and will love you, and will be with for the rest of your life. It remarkable : ]

    ReplyDelete