Thursday, February 18, 2010

Flipping A Switch

My day today was pretty good. I really have no objections. I woke up to finish an essay on which I think I did ok. I really don't like my College Writing teacher so...I care but I don't really care as much as if it were Mrs. Deliman. Anyway, my day essentially started AFTER classes were over.

I went to lunch and met this guy named Bruce. If you keep up with my Facebook, you'll have seen my status and understand what I'm about to say. Bruce is from England and came to our campus because he is a perspective students hoping to come starting in August. He is 24 years old and oh yeah, he lives in NOTTINGHAM and lives close to SHERWOOD FOREST!!! I think my brain stopped for a second what I found out that this place is real. lol. He even said that there is a castle in the middle of Nottingham. I think that's awesome. Also, we were talking about bagels and he said they don't have them in England. So, in my smart ways said "English muffins?" He looked a me, frowned, shook his head, and said "Nope, they're an American thing." I was like...ENGLISH muffins are AMERICAN? Well...so are FRENCH fries. lol. Oh well. I still thought it was SO cool.

Something interesting about Bruce, he knew more about American culture than we knew about English culture. We asked him how close he was to somewhere and he said "well, in your American standards...it's not far." What he meant, is that America is a big country. We drive and fly places and view it as not far. England is not big so an hour drive for him is FAR. There are more things that this he showed, but this is all I can remember at the moment.

At 5 o'clock, we met in the Gym Parking Lot to go to a Back On My Feet (BOMF) orientation. This group runs with homeless people at 5:30 in the morning. Most of the organization is volunteer based. It's pretty cool and Run4Kenya, a group at Eastern, signed up to run on Fridays. So...I'll be in Philly every Friday morning at 5:30 starting next week. Yay? The more interesting thing happened to me on the drive to and from Philly.

Dean Chia was the driver for my group. He drove his own personal car so it only fit 5 people making conversation easy. Dean turned 18 in December and is a senior...IN COLLEGE. This kid is ridiculously smart. You also know how before I've said how I don't like big groups and I think 5 is big enough. Well, I came out of my shell in Dean's car. I actually led conversation asking questions, rambling on and whatnot. My friend Kali who is normally fairly talkative, did not say a word the entire ride. I was in MY element in that car and it was weird how I changed from an introvert to and extrovert at the flip of a switch. Dean, 2nd Jon, Martha and I carried on a conversation about "flat-foot" running vs. heel-to-toe running. I loved it. We talked about music, the city, and it was just a great talk. I am still trying to absorb all of it in just because how differently I acted from my normal self. I never do that unless it's with people I've grown up with.

There is still no report on Ivan. I talked to Katie about that recently (it may have even been today, I don't remember.) She thinks he is here somewhere because his wings are clipped and so is the rest of the flock's. Um...I don't think it's legal to clip the wings of wild animals. I also know that Eastern doesn't want us to feed the "water foul" because they don't want to animals to stay here and become dependent. What I really mean to say is, I have NO CLUE where Ivan is, nor do I even have a hint. We'll find out soon I guess since Spring IS soon.

Well, that's all I have for tonight. Tomorrow is my busy day of the week with 4 classes.

Good night world,
Michael Leather

No comments:

Post a Comment