Monday, February 15, 2010

An Eventful Day

Wow, did a lot of stuff happen today and I had SO much fun! Isn't is great to be able to look back at a day and really have no regrets? It feels SO great.

First things first, I woke up at 12 today to start my day off "early." Almost right away my friend texted me and asked if I wanted to go to breakfast. Keep in mind, I haven't really talked with her more than a "hi" in the last 3 or so weeks so the fact that she A)texted me first B)asked to hang out with me C)asked me RIGHT away, were all GREAT and uplifting things. I beamed from ear to ear. The food at breakfast wasn't too great and there was a weird cold draft coming in, but it was GREAT eating with her.

After lunch I came back to my room and spent some time with Matt and did some reading for New Testament. I VERY much enjoyed the 1st and not so much the 2nd. The book is "Historical Jesus" and it's very dry. INTERESTING, but very dry. I tried to work on my essay for College Writing but failed miserably so...I went up to Bethany's room and do some Valentine's Day niceness.

I don't really want anyone to think I am bragging about what I did and everything so I'll just leave it at I am REALLY proud of my project and how well it turned out. End of story.

I went to dinner with Bethany and again, the windows were drafty. We basically left asap. Then I came back to my room, from where the day got VERY interesting.

I came back to the room and again tried to work on my College Writing paper and yet again...failed miserably. As my friend Katie would say, I "laif"ed. Laif = Fail, spelled backwards incorrectly which is like a major fail. lol. Then I had a friend text me. I was sincerely scared because I had been texting her room mate who was also working on the same paper as me, and I was afraid my friend was going to yell at me to stop making her room mate procrastinate. lol. Well this didn't happen. Instead, there was apparently a weird creeperish dude over her room and she asked me to come over. Well, I packed up my stuff and almost essentially ran over to my friend's room. Let me tell you, this boy was odd. He was "in hiding" and he just gave us all bad vibes. I am honestly scared if my friend ever hangs out with him again, we'll see. But he left after a few minutes and it was me and the two girls in their room. It was then I made an observation.

The three of us were working on our computers and all text fairly often. So, the three of us were sitting together doing homework, perfectly quiet (as in not talking) and yet were making all of these clicking sounds. I had to laugh to myself. My Dad tells me about his college life all of the time and couldn't help but compare. Twentyish years ago, instead of a quiet room with clicking sounds, there were quiet rooms with swooshy sounds from the pencils. In my Dad's time(he'll dislike me using the word "time" haha I know it), they would have been dedicated to the homework, but with our generation of "clickers" you could tell we were NOT dedicated to our homework. Whenever there was a hard and long click (as in using the mouse), the person was looking at Facebook. Many clicks but not lasting for a while (typing) was probably a comment on a post. The many continuous clicks that lasted (typing again) were actually writing the paper. This may not be true for the other two girls I was in the room with, but it CERTAINLY was for me. I don't know what significance this point has at ALL, I just think it's interesting.

During the time I was clicking away and actually getting headway on my paper, the girls I did my Valentine's Day gift for called me. I smiled SO much hearing how happy they were. It just reminded me at how much I really love helping people. If everyone I knew could feel half as much like they did at that moment, I would probably be the happiest man alive. The same goes for my two girl friends who I "saved" today. The one thanked me a lot for helping her out. I felt happy that 1)she thought of me to help 2)that I was ABLE to help 3)that is in fact did help her and 4)that she was so gracious. She is always a gracious person, but the fact that she was helped me to understand what it meant to help her.

Well, that was my day. I finished my paper in case you are wondering. Well...I finished the 1st draft. The 2nd one is due tomorrow. I'll get up and edit before I go to my meeting to make my 2nd draft. Let me tell you, I had a GREAT Valentine's Day and I plan on remembering it for a long time. I hope yours was special too. Don't forget, this day isn't about couples, it's about the people/person you love.

Good night world,
Michael Leather

2 comments:

  1. Quiet rooms with "swooshy" sounds from the pencils? It was the 1980s, not the 1890s.

    ReplyDelete