Monday, April 26, 2010

Ode To Deli

For four long years of high school, I had an Honors English teacher named Mrs. Deliman. The years were not long because I had nothing to do, or I was bored, they were long because I had TOO MUCH to do. Today has been rather funny for me. I proof-read a paper and wanted to email it to "Deli" so badly. She would look at it, cross out a bunch of stuff with her (in)famous red ink (because my writing is STILL too conversational) and then say "see what I taught you? I made you a good writer." It's true and I do owe most of how I can write to her (yet my father DOES still get some props). It's also rather ironic because I know that she taught me so much and I learned the most from Deli' more than just about any teacher at MHS. HOWEVER, it is 2:40 the night before 3 large assignments are due. Something Mrs. Deliman DID teach me was to plan ahead and manage time. This is still...something I have learned, but not followed through on. In fact, Mrs. Deliman bought me a present upon graduation. She NEVER buys presents for her students, so I knew it had to be special. It was a plaque and it said "If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done." haha. Deli knew me, and that is my style. I think it's just funny that I haven't changed, I guess I never will. So as I sit here, listening to French words come in one ear and go out the other, I can't help but picture like it's 4am again around this time last year and I'm sitting at my dining room table reading a book just hours before it is due. Yeah, that's still me!

Oh Mrs. Deliman, you taught so much and yet...one of the most important things you taught, I've used so little. haha.

Good Night World,
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment