Monday, July 26, 2010

Sense of Duty

Wow, it has been quite some time since I have perused the pages of my blog. I probably wasn't even going to write again until something happened today that made me think. I was lifeguarding for Children's Hilltop from 3-4. At 4 o'clock, the other lifeguard Charlie took over for me. We did the legit, "he watches the pool while I get down, then I watch the pool while he gets up" maneuver. As he is up on the stand protecting lives, he then asks me a rather random question: "Were you in Boy Scouts?" Two things are weird about this: 1) I thought EVERYONE knew I was in Boy Scouts 2) How does switching lifeguard spots remind you of Boy Scouts?

I looked at Charlie and said "Yeah! I'm actually and Eagle Scout. Um...why?" He laughed and gave a simple reply, "I'm not surprised. You have a sense of duty." I just stood there and was RATHER confused. I had NO idea what he meant by that. So of course I asked him and here was his reply "You take your job seriously. Not many people take their job as seriously as you do. To top it off, you have fun while doing it. You serve the duty to your job and do it well. It just seems like a Boy Scout trait." Well, I was honored that he complimented both Boy Scouts AND I in the same sentence.

I am not sure how to react on this comment. I mean, I truly AM honored that someone recognizes that and said that about me. I just wonder what to do with it next, that's all. Anyway, kitchen at 7am, NIGHT!

Good night world,
Michael Leather

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you. You should be as well.
    Love you proud mom

    ReplyDelete